IMA, the association of accountants and financial professionals in business, is one of the largest and most respected associations focused exclusively on advancing the management accounting profession. Globally, IMA supports the profession through research, the CMA (Certified Management Accountant) program, continuing education, networking and advocacy of the highest ethical business practices. IMA has a global network of more than 140,000 members in 140 countries and 346 professional and student chapters.
The vast majority of accountants and financial professionals—80%, in fact—work inside businesses and organizations. Their work is essential to financial management, organizational development, and the achievement of strategic goals. While external auditing is a very visible part of the accounting profession, sound internal finance and accounting operations are essential for the proper functioning of any organization.
The roles and responsibilities of internal accountants and financial professionals include:
- Managing functions that are critical to business performance
- Supporting organizational management and strategic development
- Providing accurate and insightful information for better decisions
- Ensuring that organizations operate with integrity and proper governance
- Planning for the long-term and helping to ensure sustainability
- Safeguarding the interests of the organization and its key stakeholders
IMA provides advocacy and support for the professionals who perform these vital functions within businesses.